Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Our last summer hike @ Denny Creek

We had our final hike to the slippery slab @ Denny creek. This one was over an hours drive one way but the kids were so pumped they didn't even care. It also helped that we carpooled so I had a full car of kids who played with each other. It made the time fly on the way up.


Once we pulled in and the car parked it was a mad rush out of the vehicle. They all couldn't wait for the adults to get loaded with stuff to get going. They immediately started to explore the surrounding area while they waited. We did find we had to relocate the car but once we were settle the fun got going.



This time I decide to have each of my kids carry a cinch bag with a towel and their water shoes. Nothing heavy but I had lunches and other stuff and I couldn't get it all to fit so I had to have a little help. In hind sight I probably would have done that a little differently. My kids seem to get tired out quickly and with that extra bag it gave them one more thing to make it difficult.



Andrew had the hardest time. I'd say about half way up he was in the back and dragging. It was a tough little hike even for us adults. I think we were all sweating and had to take breaks along the way. I loved every minute of the hike it was great exercise. My kids just seem to hate walking lately and thus began a bit of the whining.


Megan was a trooper and did really well. She got stuck carrying more than just her bag at one point. Another boy handed off his huge backpack to her. She was loaded down and we had to make a change. Everyone had to carry their own and that was the way it had to be. After that she seemed to enjoy herself.




Once we reached the slippery slab it was like a pot of gold for those kids. All that hard work and life was wonderful. They loved being in the water and just soaking it all in. They did stop every once in a while to nibble on their lunch but for the most part all they wanted to do was play.




We finally made it to a waterfall and my kids were in heaven. It was the one thing they really wanted to see of all things from any of the hikes. We all got nice and dirty and just had a great time exploring. We did have a few falls and scrapes but after a few tears and resting the kids all bounced right back up. We did have three boys which when you have a set of three someone always gets left out. All in all though I think everyone had a great time. We could have stayed for a long while but we were with a group and did have to pack it in eventually.



Our exit was a bit scattered and rushed for my taste. My kids were still playing when I got the call we're leaving. I had stuff every where and had to make a mad scramble to get us packed. My kids were still in water shoes as we began our hike back. I eventually had to just stop and separate so I could get myself and the kids put back together. That little break helped a ton and my kids felt much better after we were organized. We had a great time and really want to take Jeff back sometime. We'd have a blast exploring with him. It was an awesome hike and a great way to end our summer hiking expeditions.

No comments: