Andrew had is 2nd grade field trip to the Children's Hands on Museum in Olympia. Megan had this same field trip for 2nd and 3rd grade so I thought I was all set and knew what to expect. Little did I know that it changed buildings. It has moved several blocks and the building is so much bigger and better. I was super impressed at how different this experience was.
I have to say I was not looking forward to going this year. I was nervous that it was going to be tough. So I enlisted Jeff to go with us. He took a few days off and we got to spend them having fun. Megan was off to camp and we took Andrew on his field trip. Andrew LOVED having Jeff come along. I think this is the very first field trip of both kids that he has gotten to go on. It made it all the more special.
There was a small communication problem with Andrew's teacher. I had told her that Jeff and I were both coming but she thought it was only going to be one of us. It didn't matter that much but we did have like 7 chaperons. Each adult had 4 kids and the teacher was able to just hang out and had no kids to be in charge of. She just floated about keeping tabs on people.
Our four kids were 2 boys and 2 girls. This made it a tad tricky at times when deciding on what area to play in. The boys had one idea and the girls had another most of the time. It was so nice having both Jeff and I there. We'd just divide and conquer when needed so it was more like having only 2 kids to keep track of. It also helped out just being able to keep eyes on the kids. It was a bit of a mad house and hard at times to make sure all where accounted for.
Andrew loved this place. I don't think he really remembered that we had been with Grandma and Papa before as that was the other location. This place was all new for him even though some of the stuff was the same. Since the building was all different it was like exploring a whole new place he had never been to before. It also had some new items which made it fun. When I asked what his favorite section was he said he had several. There was no way he could choose just one.He loved the "scream room" and all the touching and hands on stuff. It was just so much fun. He also said he loved the water spots and sand sections. Really any place that he could just get in and play with his hands. Not too big on imaginative play but sensory stuff was all good for him.
He was really good as were all 4 of our kids. We had no real issues with anyone and didn't lose anyone either. I consider this a big plus in my book. No injuries or problems at all. We just enjoyed out day out with Andrew. He got to go to a catapult workshop which he loved and just had a great time.
We were there till about 1pm then we had lunch and made it back to the school. We were all back and done by 3pm. It was kind of weird to leave him at school after our fun day for another hours of school stuff. In the past we've gotten back a bit later where I've been able to take them home. This was a bit different then the usual but still okay.
I'm so thankful for the chance to be there for my kids. It means a whole lot to me just to have the experience with them. I love to see them grow each year and to just have that chance to be there for them. Next up for him is field day on Friday. Jeff took this day off as well so both of us will be there for the first time. Megan is excited to have her Dad around for the first time at school. We can't wait to have some family fun at school.

No comments:
Post a Comment