Monday, November 30, 2009

Splash Down Thanksgiving 2009

For Thanksgiving day we packed in as much as we could fit in the day. We wanted to spend as much time together as we could and have fun activities as well. For the ladies our day started first thing in the morning with a 5k turkey trot.

Laurie talked me into doing the 5k run with her while MarGene and Roxanne did the 2 mile fun walk/run. I think I over estimated my abilities as the course had several steep hills and it was also raining. There were 982 racers out for the trot and it was fun to do something with just the ladies. I didn't do so well as the last hill practically killed me but at least I got out there and did it.

While we were out racing the rest of the families were home preparing for our next activity. Ken arranged for us to visit a shelter and donate sandwiches, socks, hats, and gloves. The kids and Dads stayed behind and got all the packages put together for us to give out.
The ladies came home to get a quick shower and get into our matching sweatshirts supplied by Ken and MarGene. He got each family a different color and had Tammy put a special little logo on them. They say "Splash Down Thanksgiving 2009" It sure helped keeping track of my two little ones as all I needed to do was look for the color blue.

The shelter was a fun service project to help us remember the spirit of giving thanks. It was interesting to watch the little ones and see who understood what we were there for. I think that the poor shelter didn't know what to think of our crew of 17 in their colorful sweatshirts showing up giving out little care packages. I have to say the kids did a great job for the most part and I'm so glad that they can have experiences like that to help teach them.

After the shelter we headed out to Great Wolf Lodge and their indoor water park. The kids were bursting with energy and I don't think any of us could hardly wait for the splashing fun. We got right into the water and all had a blast.
There was something for everyone to do at the water park. There were around 7 or so different slides and they ranged from kiddie ones to adult crazy ones. Megan and Kendra went on every slide that there was and went with whoever would take them. We all took turns watching the little ones while adults took their turn on the bigger attractions.
One of the favorite hot spots was the wave pool. I think we all ended up here from time to time in groups or with a solo child. No matter where you ended up you were usually around family and wet. It was so much fun and the joy on the kids faces was just cute.

We got to stay in kid cabins for the night. I didn't think to get a picture of them but the kids had a little bunk area with their own TV and it was closed off and looked like a mini log cabin. It was super cute. While some of the adults went on a food run I stayed back nursing a soar foot from the 5k and a little Megan that had a bit of a tummy ache. The next thing you know she was out cold from all the activity. Andrew was still in the mix but soon to follow.
Jeff and I had a hard time sleeping and it was just as well since we got up at 4am to hit up a Walmart for Black Friday sales. I limped my way to the store and got most everything I had on my list. We made it back to the lodge by 6:30am and everyone was still asleep. They didn't even miss us being gone. It didn't take long before the first stirrings started and soon we were all awake and ready for day 2. We packed up our stuff and headed out to the water park for the last hoorah. After a few hours Dan and his family departed and headed home for their 14 hour drive. A few hours after that Laurie and her family followed. We hit up a few last slides with Grandma and headed home as well.
It was tons of fun and felt like a whirlwind of activity but I'm sure glad that we got the chance to go. I love the memories we create each year with the VoFo family trip. When I look back at the gathering we've had it warms my heart at all the feelings that flood in from having had the chance to be apart of it. I can't wait till we gather again.

1 comment:

Laurie Von said...

amen sister. i do have a pic of the dens. great blog post. now go out and run gimpy!