Friday, June 18, 2010

End of the Year Field Day

Today was Field Day for my kids. It is their end of the year celebration where they get to spend half their day outside playing various games. I decided to lend a hand this year and volunteer to help. This being my first year I had no idea what to expect.

There were something like 20 different games of fun. Some were volleyball, tug of war, parachute, tire roll, bubble table, fireman uniform relay, dance party, basketball, and much more. I was assigned the "sling shot with bean bag" area. It took 2 holds and a shooter and the goal was to shoot your ball into one of three hula hoops laid out. I had 3 sling shots and once the kids were release I had lines the whole time. For the most part the kids listened and did a good job of sharing but at times I had a bit of chaos. Really the kids just wanted to see who could shoot their ball the farthest. Some kids pulled so hard the holders had such a hard time holding on they would let go. This caused the sling to snap on the other holder or shooter. Despite my yelling request to not shoot so hard and not hit anyone I had a few little welts. Let's just say it was a bit exhausting and I for sure will not be in charge of the sling shot next year.

Megan hung out with me at the sling shot for almost an hour. She enjoyed gathering the balls for me. After a while I told her she could go explore and play elsewhere. She was hesitant to move on but eventually went to play something else.

I saw Andrew in the very beginning at the parachutes right next to me. In the picture above he is in the crowd there but really hard to see. I saw him one other time running to another event. He never made it over to the sling shots with me but I could tell he was having a great time. I heard from one of his teachers that he enjoyed the bubble table a lot.

I stuck around for lunch with Megan and after giving out end of the year gifts to their teachers called it a day. We've had such a great year at Central Ave. My kids love it there and have made great advancements. Andrew will be moving into main stream kinder next year with support center help. They are so impressed with his progress and know he'll do great. Megan is headed to 3rd grade with the same teacher. We've had some retirements so her teacher now is moving up and she has asked some of her students to stay with her. Megan was super excited to know she'll have her again. She has really enjoyed this year. All in all we've had a great year and look forward to the fun next year.

No comments: