Last year we stayed in the an A-frame unit and this year we decided to switch it up and sleep in a walled tent already set up. I have to say it was a bit more private staying in the tent and felt like we had a better chance of getting a good rest. Although there was little rest to be had with 2 little creatures called Megan and Andrew inside our tent.
The ward activities committee cooked Hawaiian haystacks for dinner. It was kind of nice to walk up to the buffet line and see something from back in Salinas. The kids didn't eat much but since I expected this I fed them before we left the house. I did bring a few snacks just in case I had a starving kid but all worked out nice.
We followed dinner with an impromptu talent show. I say impromptu because it seemed like nothing was really planned. Mostly primary kids got up and told some jokes, danced around, or sang a song that you couldn't hear. I had planned to bring our pipe chimes but couldn't get everything together in time. I also had a very reluctant husband he really didn't want me to bring them. In hind sight I wish I would have just brought them, they were needed. I've already given Jeff plenty of notice that next year we are bring them no matter what.
We took the kids on a dusk hike until their little legs began to get tired and they were ready to head in. We played a few board games in the tent and then settle down with our glow sticks for a restless night. I'm not sure any of us got much sleep but it was sure something and different with all the outdoor sounds.
I loved just hanging outside in the little clearing outside our tent. It was so peaceful and relaxing. Jeff would take the kids off somewhere and I'd just sit and listen to the sounds of nature it was really nice. The kids also loved just getting to run around and not have to stay so close or hold hands. They had free reign to run and just enjoy themselves.
We tried our hands at skipping stones. Really it was more like Jeff skipping stones and the rest of us just plunking rocks in the river. We spent at least and hour or more just down by the water enjoying it's splendor.
After a yummy breakfast of pancakes, sausage, ham, watermelon, hot chocolate, and oj we headed out for more fun. We hit up fishing and came up with nothing to show for the efforts. We had the same bad luck last year and are about ready to give it up for next year. The kids still have fun casting out and hoping to catch something so we are really undecided.
We had a really strong wind and luckily we had our kites with us again. This time the kids loved getting the chance to fly them. Last year there was barely any wind so it was a bit frustrating but this year they had them in the air for most of the time. Andrew now says "I love my kite and I'm good at it." Megan got a bit tangled up in the string and got a little frustrated but still had fun watching her kite get in the air for long chunks of time.


We hit up the canoes again but this time I opted to sit out. The unstable canoe just makes me super nervous and I don't want to take an unexpected swim. Even though Jeff assures me that our boat won't tip I just don't want to take the risk. I was happy to watch from the shore and see my cute little family float about.


We hit up the canoes again but this time I opted to sit out. The unstable canoe just makes me super nervous and I don't want to take an unexpected swim. Even though Jeff assures me that our boat won't tip I just don't want to take the risk. I was happy to watch from the shore and see my cute little family float about.
We had such a great time. I don't think there was anything we really didn't like. I have to say next year we've got to have more camping trips. This was only a Friday night and Saturday day. If we really planned an outing that lasted a few day I know the kids would love it. It was the perfect little trip for us and I'm glad we went. We are already thinking about next year and hope the ward continues to plan this type of activity.

No comments:
Post a Comment