Monday, July 5, 2010

Bombs Bursting In Air

For the 4th of July we really had no idea what we were going to do to help the kids celebrate. As we thought back I think we may have been on vacation in CA every July since we moved here. We may have had one here but we can't remember. Anyway, as we did a search and tried to find something to do we came up with a free event at the fair grounds. It is put on by a local church group so we had no idea what to expect but thought we'd give it a shot.

We got our seats in the grand stands and awaited the fireworks. Little did we know they put on a show before hand. The church's band sung a variety of songs like Miley Cyrus and Journey. After that they had an audience dance contest followed by the "Massive Monkeys" who placed 3rd on America's Best Dance Crew.
Shortly after that there was a little history lesson on wars and how we've fought for our freedoms. This concluded with the National Anthem and the fireworks show. Andrew was very ready for this part. Although he was good for the whole thing he just wanted to get to the main event. All he cared about was watching the fireworks show. Who could blame him??

Both kids loved the firework show which lasted for several songs. Megan can remember the Monterey fireworks and was a bit sad that this one didn't have any smiley face fireworks but was still excited to see the display. The kids were glued to the sky the whole time and loved every minute of it. Jeff and I were very impressed at the whole show and were glad we decided to go.

We are already thinking about next year and what we'd like to do. Maybe a little home fireworks as most of our neighbors were doing and hit up a show or something like that. As we were watching at the fair grounds I could see up on the hill about 2 or 3 other shows and I'm still trying to figure out where they were. Maybe next year will be more exploring. I hope everyone had a Happy 4th of July as I know we did.

No comments: