Andrew got to go on his very first field trip ever for Central Ave. For his 1st grade field trip they went to the Northwest Trek. We've been here a few times before as a family and it is so beautiful. I love the chance to go out and experience all the wildlife. I was super excited to go with him. I didn't get the chance to go when Megan was in 1st grade so this was fun for me.
The weather wasn't all that great we had on and off showers for most of the day and towards the end of our time a full on down pour. I didn't hear one person complain as no one cared if they got a little wet. What they had to see made it all worth it and I'm not even sure they noticed the rain.
I had 4 kids in my group. It was again 2 boys and 2 girls. At first when I got my group I only had 2 boys. Then when it became apparent that 3 helper Mom's were not coming Andrew's teacher had to make a mad scramble to rearrange the groups. I felt really bad for her as she was really frazzled. I told her I'd take as many as she needed me to and not to worry. I was ready for these 1st graders. This was my 2nd day of field trips and I was prepared. She only gave me the 2 girls and it ended up that each group had 4 kids so we were all even.We got our map and were off. The kids really wanted to see the bears the most and then snakes. That was the only thing I heard for the 1st hour. Then it became the "I'm hungry" whines. We got about half the park looked over and then we stopped to have some of our lunch. It was only about 11:15 so it wasn't exactly time for full on lunch but they needed a snack. It was amazing to see how much food some of these kids brought. I had to carry it all in my backpack and it was overflowing. There was plenty for a snack and full lunch and another snack if needed.
After our snack we set out to look at the "cats" section before heading over to the tram for our tour. The tram was so awesome. We saw a ton of animals and a handful were up really close to us. This was the first time that I saw so much and so close. It was so amazing and I just took it all in. The kids were super good and listened to all the rules. When an animal came around they were glued to the section and just seeing it all. This was one of the highlights of the day. It was just so beautiful and I wish we could have gone slower and just soaked it in more.
After our tram ride we continued to explore. This time since we saw the bears and hadn't made it to the snakes all I heard for a while was snakes and more snakes. We still had a portion of the park to explore so I followed the map and gave the kids a game plan. We still needed to fit in lunch and the gift shop. They were all happy with the plan and we set out to explore some more and eat.
One of my girls tripped at one point. Her knee got a little wet but she popped back up and was good to go. My group was typical 1st graders and I have to say they were really cute and fun. I think I've come to realize I have more patience than I thought. I saw several Mom's with this worn out tired grin. I even had one say she was going nuts. The kids were all somewhat hyper and crazy at times but you've got to expect that. I really had a great group and an awesome time. I think Andrew's favorite part was at the snake center. It was more of a learning center with a few glass snake aquariums. They had coloring, books, puppets, and computers. Andrew loved the puppets. He found one of a skunk and liked to go around and pretend to spray people. This is the area I think the kids got the most hyper and crazy. It was also towards the end and was pouring outside. It was nice to have the shelter of indoors but we had about 20 or so 1st graders trapped in a small space. Of course they're gonna go wild with free time.
I think Andrew loved having me there. I know before we left when I was in his class he was so excited and hyper. Once we got on the bus he mellowed out and was just ready to have some fun. As this was his first field trip he wasn't really sure what to expect. I tried to explain to him what was going to happen but I think he just had to experience it for himself. I loved getting to go and he was really good.
Andrew will be in 2nd grade next year. I'm hoping that they switch it up and we don't go to the hands on museum but if they do I'm sure I'll be there. I love the chance I get to spend with my kids and most of the time the events are super fun. I did hear a teacher asking one of the regular helper Mom's about a new place. I'm thinking this might mean a switch up. I guess I'll just have to wait and see. The whole point for me is just getting to be there for Andrew and spend that time with him. I'm ready and willing for what this new year will bring.

No comments:
Post a Comment