Thursday, June 7, 2012

My Kids have talent


This year Megan and Andrew entered the talent show as a pair.  This was huge as Megan wasn't sure she liked the idea when I suggested it but soon got really excited.  We tried to come up with something different from the norm and when I thought about doing something with their pogo sticks, both kids were immediately sold.  They love to bounce on those things whenever we have down time so why not make an act.

 Megan quickly selected the high school musical song "get your head in the game" and got to work on creating an act of it.  Jeff and I told them to just brainstorm and come up with as many tricks as possible for us to review and help with.  Let's say they got a bit crazy with their ideas.  I think they wanted to jump rope while on the pogo stick and throw balls back in forth.  Their balance isn't that swift so for safety we had to eliminate some of the external props.  I'm sure it would have been exciting but might not have been good for their health.

They had a great audition and were so excited to perform for the big show.  We brought some pool noodles for them to jump as part of the act and it was great fun.  We had a little snag as the music teacher had the wrong version of the song.  We gave her the cd that the kids have been practicing but she already had it so didn't bother to copy ours.  She gave Megan back the cd a few days before and said we were all set.  It wasn't till the performance began that Meg quickly found that the song version that they had wasn't the right one.  This caused some of the parts of the performance to be off a bit for timing because they didn't know where to change to the different tricks.  Meg stopped once she realized it and was lost.  Since I didn't bring the cd with me they had to just make it work, which they did.
I really couldn't have been more proud.  There were about 34 acts or so and more than half were singers.  I try to stay away from singing because so many kids try their hand at singing and it doesn't always turn out great.  As I'm not all that musically inclined it's just easier to stay away from that category.  We had a few piano players and a handful of dancers.  I do believe my kids were the most original and got tons of compliments.  The kindergarten classes all raved about them being their favorite.  Andrew teacher from last year came and told me how much her class LOVED what they did.
The music teacher has asked for an encore performance from Meg and Andrew for their last CARE assembly of the year.  She felt bad about the song mix up.  Since they were one of the schools favorite performances she'd like them to perform again along with one or two other acts.  I think the others were for absent kids that she wants to give the chance to perform.  Megan is thrilled to be asked and totally wants to, while Andrew says it makes him too sweaty and would rather pass.  We are currently undetermined whether we'll give it a go but I'm sure they will if Megan has her say.  She'll work hard to talk him into it.  We had great fun and Megan has already decided she wants to go out with a bang and not perform for next year her final 5th grade year.  She's got tons of stuff on her plate for next year and doesn't want to hassle with practice and such.  We'll see if Andrew's been bitten by the bug or not.  I'm totally out of interesting ideas so who know what we'd even do.  I guess we'll see we have a whole year to decide. 

No comments: