Megan loves when I get to come and help. She becomes all smiles and excited to have her Mom there. It seems to make her feel special and it's such a simple thing. I'm so glad to be able to go with her and enjoy as well.
As we've never been to this museum we had no idea what to expect. It was all about the Northwest region and it's history. There were a handful of rules like no flash photography and no touching. We sat through probably 15-20 minutes of orientation before we got to go into the main exhibit. This is definitely an outing for older kids. There are alarms on exhibits and special rules that I know younger kids would never handle as these 4th graders had some problems with them.
My group was 2 boys and 2 girls. This is the first time I've had boys in my group ever so I wasn't sure what to expect. Our class had a packet of questions to answer as we went through the exhibits. There were several schools there and let's just say it was chaos. The map they gave didn't match the packet of questions very well and the sections weren't labeled to match the map. I guess you have to smarter than a map to figure it out. There were several Mom's all wandering about as confuses as I was not sure if we were in the right place or not. It wasn't till after lunch that I think we were getting the hang of it.
The questions were not really easy and took some investigating. One of my boys was really frustrated and couldn't understand what was going on half the time. We had to slow our pace for him and that kind of frustrated the other 3 kids. We made it work and I controlled the pace the best I could so everyone was happy. My kids did a great job of following the rules and I proud to say we set off no alarms.
I loved getting to go and see all the exhibits. It was neat to see the different time periods and what they had on them. I kind of wish I was on my own so I could of read more of what was in each section. With the 4 kids I did a lot of skimming of the informational boards for each exhibit. There was no way they wanted to take their time anywhere.
I'm pretty sure their favorite part was the 5th floor. This was the traveling exhibit floor which changes every few months. There were no questions for this section and they just got to explore at their own pace. They had a few more hands on things to touch. The kids all loved getting to be on this floor. Once we had finished our packet the rest of the time was spent on this 5th floor and they hated to leave. I have to agree it was a lot of fun.
I loved to get to do something different. I loved the one on one with Megan and seeing her smiles. I think it meant a lot to both of us. I can't wait till next year. I believe Meg gets to go to the capital building and a 3 day science camp. I'm hoping to get to go to both with her and am excited for her final year at Central Ave.

No comments:
Post a Comment